Learning to fly is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things you’ll ever do. To get started, you can take a Discovery Flight, where you’ll go up with one of Universal Flight Training’s fine instructors and see what it’s like to fly a plane for yourself.
Your next step will be to jump into your private pilot flight training with one of our top notch, experienced instructors. Our Private Pilot Training Kits contain a full system curriculum to ensure that you learn everything that you need to know to be a safe, confident pilot.
What it takes to earn a Private Pilot Certification:
Total Time: 40 hours minimum which consists of at least:
20 hours minimum of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
- 3 hours of cross country flight training in a single engine airplane;
- 3 hours of night flight training in a single engine airplane, that includes at least:
a) 1 cross country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and
b) 10 take off’s & 10 landings to a full stop with each involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
- 3 hours of flight training by reference to instruments in a single engine airplane; and
- 3 hours of flight training in a single engine airplane within the 60 days prior to the practical test.
10 hours minimum of solo flying in a single engine airplane on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
- 5 hours of solo cross country flying;
- 1 solo cross country flight of at least 150 nautical miles total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50 nautical miles between take off and landing; and
- 3 take off’s and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower.